Roger Lee, Counsel in Buchanan’s Intellectual Property section, will moderate a panel titled “2018: A Year of Change for Post Issuance Proceedings” at the IP Strategy Summit in Houston.
This year, the rules of IP may be rewritten for the second time in less than a decade. The Supreme Court has weighed in on IPRs’ very constitutionality and the changes that must be made at the PTAB. Patent owners such as universities and famously Mohawk/Allergen have looked to utilize Sovereign Immunity as a strategy to avoid IPR which has caused concern in both the legislature and IP landscape. What’s the potential scope and impact of these changes? How to build optionality into your strategy?
The panel will explore:
- State of the current IPR landscape
- Sovereign immunity: new trend university Mohawk
- Planning strategic optionality around:
- Oil States case
- Motions to stay and Estoppel
- How to change or evolve your strategy
- Best practices in front of the USPTO